Pages

Saturday, 21 July 2018

Mobile Lazy Stand


Hi All,

We all are addicted to our smart phones and before going to bed, we end up watching a video or browsing while lying on the bed... We do not maintain any gap between phone and us, which results in bad eyesight

In this instructables, i am going share how we can make a lazy mobile stand. That will not improve your eyesight but can assist to keep a healthy distance between phone and you

I like to recycle as many items I can. In this build I am using a broken mobile stand from a friend, who was about to throw it and it would have landed in some dumping area causing more problems for environment


Step 1: What Do We Need ?


Materials

  • Old / broken Mobile stand
  • Wood Strips
  • 6mm Nuts and bolts
  • PVA glue or fevicol

Tools

  • Hack Saw
  • Black Oil Paint spray
  • Sandpapers
  • Wood Clamps


Step 2: The Base



The design of the base may vary based on your bed, mine had a 2 inch thick head board, on which I needed to fit my base.

  • The base has to be strong so took a piece of wood ( 2" x 1.5" x 3/4 ") as main body
  • On which I fixed a metal "L" bracket on one side
  • And a wooden strip 3.5" long on the other side
  • Added 2 - 2.5" strips at the middle ( both sides ) for the base arm
  • Drill a hole of 6mm through the side strips as shown
  • The wooden strips are glued not nailed while the metal bracket is screwed
  • This assembly should fit on the headboard without any gaps


This will help us to move the stand from one side to another


Step 3: Base Arm


  • All 3 arms are of 9" in length with 6mm holes at the both ends
  • Since the base holder has 3/4" gap, we need to make our first arm that thick
  • We do this by add 2 pieces on each side, sticking them with PVA glue / fevicol
  • Let it dry for 2 hrs
  • Once dried, adjust the width according to the base, by sanding


Step 4: End Arm


  • The End arm which will host the mobile stand needs an additional wooden plank
  • This tiny plank is at 90 degree with the arm
  • Glue these pieces with pva glue or fevicol and let it dry for 2 hours
  • Fix the base of the mobile stand on it

Step 5: Middle Arm


  • The middle arm is of 9" long
  • With 6MM holes at both ends
  • I have added 2 middle arms, but was too long and unsable

Step 6: WingNuts

Because we have 3 joints, we should be able to tighten and loosen them at will to adjust desired position. But we cannot keep a spanner handy for this. Simple solution is to use wing nuts, problem is I had none and were not available in the local stores where I live...

  • To make my own wind nuts, I am using wooden strip of 3/4"
  • Drilled holes for 10mm and hammered the nut into it
  • This worked for 2 nuts, but the wood splitted for rest
  • I super glued the wood and nuts, left for few hrs and I had good wing nuts

Step 7: Finishing


  • Sand the wood with sandpapers
  • Spray Paint them black or leave them natural

Tips and learnings

  • I made a mistake, the joints needs friction to stay in position, because I sanded them, they would slip and hit the mobile on my head. So I had to create some groves using blade or a sharpe on each joints to get the friction
  • Do not paint joints
  • Using Wing nuts at both ends with metallic washer
  • Loosen the nuts before adjusting

That's all, fix the stand, attach your mobile and watch a movie or video

No comments:

Post a Comment